Monday, June 16, 2008

Movie Review: Iron Man


Having little to do since I graduated college a few weeks ago, I decided to take a trip to see a matinée showing of Iron Man in the theater. I was a little skeptical of films having taking in "The Happening" just two days prior and still having a bad taste in my mouth from the $9.50 I spent on that.

I was very impressed with Iron Man. The film did a good job of portraying Tony Stark (Downey Jr.) as a playboy, carefree young billionaire. Often comic book films ignore the character traits of a specific superhero in order to stick to the main storyline. I liked the character development in this movie and thought it was outstanding.

The film was light on actual "Iron Man" scenes up until the end, with most of the movie being spent on character development, story development and (in my mind) future sequel "set-up". At the end of the movie, Samuel L. Jackson makes a cameo as Nick Fury which justified my assumption further movies would be created. Overall a great watch, enjoyable for someone not familiar with the comic, and comprehensive enough for the avid comic book reader.

No comments: